Pottery Network: "From Clay to Sherd: An Introduction to Archaeological and Archaeometric Analysis of Pottery"
Workshop in collaboration with Gerwulf Schneider, Małgorzata Daszkiewicz and Antonia Höhne
The aim of the workshop is to give the participating students a general understanding for how to use and interpret the results of archaeometric analyses in ceramic research through demonstrations and handson experience.
At the end of the workshop the students will:
- gain basic knowledge for macroscopic analysis of pottery production and fabric
- have an overview of archaeometric methodologies and what kind of data they produce
- be able to identify which techniques are useful for which kind of research questions
- be able to develop sampling strategies and how to choose the right method
Some of the topics we will cover throughout the workshop will include:
- Raw material and macroscopic descriptions of fabric
- Composition of temper, thin sections and provenience studies
- Recognising different shaping practices and how to identify pre- and post-firing techniques/surface treatments
- Classification and provenance through chemical analysis and how to interpret tables with chemical data
- How to plan a project and to go from analysis to interpretation
Info & Contact
Please pay attention that the number of participants is limited.
Zeit & Ort
28.09.2023 - 29.09.2023
Freie Universität Berlin