Current Calls for Applications
Study places (without funding)
The Berlin Graduate School of Ancient Studies (BerGSAS) accepts applications for both winter and summer admissions for all five doctoral programs. The starting date for doctoral studies in the summer semester is the first of April – for the winter semester, the starting date is the first of October.
If you would like to apply for summer admission, please you submit your application materials by the first of September of the preceding year.
If you wish to apply for winter admission, we request that you submit your application materials by the first of April in the year you wish to start.
Prospective doctoral students apply for one of our five doctoral programs. Each of the programs has its own curriculum, which takes six semesters to complete. In the course of their doctoral studies, doctoral students have the opportunity to spend a semester at one of our partner universities – Harvard University, the University of Michigan, the University of Oxford or Princeton University – and can receive financial support for that purpose.
Minimum requirements for applicants
- Completion of a master’s degree with a very good result in a field of ancient studies or a closely related discipline, e.g. prehistory, classical or Near Eastern archaeology, Egyptology, ancient Near Eastern studies, physical geography, ancient history, medieval history, religious studies, philosophy and the history of knowledge, theology, art history, classics, Byzantine studies, Iranian studies.
- When you submit your application, you must be able to prove that you have a way of financing the three-year course of doctoral studies or at least show that you have submitted a request for the funding of your doctoral project to a third party.
Please send a complete set of your application materials (see below) to email@example.com.
Your application should be submitted by e-mail and must contain the following:
- The application form
- An exposé on your proposed dissertation project (8-10 pages, including bibliography)
- Work plan and timetable for three years
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation statement, also stating how the doctoral project will be financed (approx. 2 pages)
- Writing sample (e.g. a chapter from your master's thesis or an essay, approx. 15-20 pages)
- Certificates documenting the completion of internship(s) and/or relevant courses, summer schools, etc.
- Copies of your university transcripts/reports (B.A., M.A., Diplom)
- In addition, letters of recommendation from two university teachers, sent to us directly by their authors in PDF format (with the official letterhead of their institution, signed and stamped.)