21 doctoral scholarships starting 01.09.2017 or 01.11.2017
The Excellence Cluster 264 Topoi "The Formation and Transformation of Space and Knowledge in Ancient Civilizations" and the Berlin Graduate School of Ancient Studies (BerGSAS) with funding of the Einstein Doctoral Programme are offering at Freie Universität Berlin and at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin 21 doctoral fellowships for the winter term 2017/18, starting on September 1, 2017 or on November 1, 2017.
Call for Application
Receiving a fellowship is connected with the admission to the Berlin Graduate School of Ancient Studies (BerGSAS) and participation in one of the graduate school’s five doctoral programs. Each program is based on a structured curriculum.
BerGSAS doctoral programs:
- Ancient Languages and Texts (ALT)
- Ancient Objects and Visual Studies (AOViS)
- Ancient Philosophy and History of Ancient Science (APhil/HistAS)
- Landscape Archaeology and Architecture (LAA)
- Languages and Cultures of the Silk Road (Silk Road)
We welcome applications from highly qualified graduates from any field of ancient studies, or from a closely related discipline. Candidates must hold an exemplary Master’s degree, or equivalent degree. Each doctoral fellowship will include a stipend of 1350 euros per month to be awarded for two years, with an option to extension for a third year upon positive evaluation towards the end of the second year.
To be approved, the proposed dissertation project must be accepted by a potential supervisor. Hence, previous establishment of contact to
a potential supervisor is mandatory. A list of possible supervisors will be provided by the agencies of BerGSAS on request (HU: firstname.lastname@example.org / FU: email@example.com).
Candidates must send their application including the documents listed below and with the application quoting reference number DS-17-Topoi-BerGSAS before May 2, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required application documents (1 pdf, max. 10 MB):
- cover letter (2-3 pages, including the name of the BerGSAS doctoral program for which you are applying)
- application form
- curriculum vitae (CV, resume)
- commitment by the potential supervisor of your dissertation project
- dissertation project synopsis (8-10 pages)
- work plan and schedule
- copies of certificates of any academic degrees
- copies of certificates of German and/or English languages skills (for the FUB English language skills level CEFR C-1 /IELTS 7.0. are required)
- writing sample (15-20 pages)
in addition: Two letters of recommendation